| California Green Builder guidelines require engineered wood products manufactured with feed stock primarily from sustainable forests. Certified wood products that come from forests overseen by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), American Tree Farm System (ATFS), the Canadian Standards Associationís Sustainable Forest Management System (CAN/CSA) or the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) will qualify under the California Green Builder program. A managed forest harvests timber at a rate that can be permanently sustained, while leaving the ecological functions intact, enhanced, or restored. |
Additionally, wood is saved:
- By using computer-controlled saws which make accurate compound cuts.
- Engineered wood products provide greater strength and flexibility
- Because the cutting and fitting of the wood is done in a controlled environment, cut offs and short lengths are utilized with maximum efficiency
- Engineered wood components allow for easier passage of ducts, plumbing and electrical wires in the house
- It is estimated that each engineered wood floor joist system saves one tree, and each engineered wood truss system saves two trees from being harvested